As a department, we are committed to creating an environment that welcomes all people, regardless of their identities. We value the diversity that enriches our department. We understand the importance of free and open dialogue that includes the free exchange of ideas. We do not tolerate uncivil speech or any form of discourse that infringes on others’ rights to express themselves, or has a negative impact on their education, or work environment. We actively promote an environment of collegiality and an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility. We understand that respect includes being considerate of others’ feelings, circumstances, and their individuality. We recognize the necessity of a civil community in realizing the potential of individuals in teaching, learning, research, and service. We believe these values extend beyond the department into our work within physics regionally, nationally, and internationally, as well as work and studies in the university, and the broader community. We encourage all members of the department to intervene and report any incidents involving bigotry, or that violate the university code of conduct.
Anyone who experiences or observes any such incident is encouraged to report it to the Department Head or one of the Associate Heads. Students can also speak to any faculty or staff member with whom they feel comfortable. Incidents that involve sexual harassment or stalking will be reported to the office of Title IX under mandatory reporting requirements.
- UTK Office of Equity and Diversity
- University of Tennessee System Inclusion, Diversity, and Engagement
- Hilltopics (Student Handbook/Code of Conduct)
- UTK Principles of Civility and Community
- UTK Bias Education and Referral
- UTK Title IX Office
- UTK Office of Ombuds Services
- College of Arts and Sciences Associate Dean of Diversity and Inclusion
- University of Tennessee System Code of Conduct
- American Physical Society Diversity Statement
- American Institute of Physics Diversity Initiatives
- American Association of Physics Teachers: Programs, Publications and Other Resources supporting Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Physics